University of Pittsburgh students' commitment to an atmosphere of mutual respect and civility, self-restraint, concern for others, and academic integrity are the foundation of their pledge to the Pitt Promise: A Commitment to Civility.
Diversity embodies acceptance and respect for dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, and political perspectives.
Diversity thrives best when these differences are visible and prospering in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment – advancing from tolerating differences to embracing the richness that diversity achieves. It is the fundamental core for holistic health care and serves as a catalyst for mobilizing an effective health professions work force.
The links below provide information about diverse populations at Pitt, throughout Pittsburgh and on the national front.
- Diversity at the University of Pittsburgh
- Diverse Living in Pittsburgh
- Cultural and Community Centers
- Cultural Competence Resources
- National Diversity Initiatives
Additional Diversity Resources
- "From Wrongs to Rights: Celebrating Yesterday's Heroes and Tomorrow's Leaders of Disability Advocacy"
- Association of American Colleges and Universities Diversity Resources
- ACHIEVA - Support for People with Disabilities
- Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning - Diversity Resources
- Dignity and Respect Campaign
- How to Create a Pathway to Health Careers
- International Multicultural Institute
- National Association for Multicultural Education (NAME)
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NCMHD)
- National Health Observances
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD Grantee Free 10 hour online Spanish course on Concepts Essential for the Social Determinants of Health)
- Pennsylvania Department of Health - Office of Health Equity
- Vibrant Pittsburgh
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Racial Equity Resource Guide